Zur deutschen Version
  • index1.jpg
  • index18.jpg
  • foto11.jpg
  • Bergwirt_Anno_dazumal.jpg
  • index16.jpg


Hotel-Restaurant Bergwirt Schönbrunn
Building approval for the residence planned at Maxingstrasse 76, on the corner of Montecuccoli Square, was granted by the Viennese authorities in 1911.
Constructed in typical Jugendstil style, the house was improved with the addition of bay windows, balconies, dormer windows and cupola lanterns.

Nine large apartments were built, which included servant quarters and bathrooms. In 1912, the Gasthaus zum Bergwirt (Bergwirt Guesthouse) opened to the public, designed as a guesthouse for day-trippers near the Elisabethallee on the Küniglberg, furnished with a cosy Zirbelstuben-room.

The stony face of Bacchus, Greek God of Wine and Sensuality, greeted guests in the form of a relief by the entrance, inviting people to linger at will in the relaxed atmosphere.

More than 40 years ago, in 1959, Monika and Franz Grauer took out a lease on the Gasthaus zum Bergwirt, subsequently purchasing the property in 1968. Over the following 10 years, a "Stüberl" and a coffee house were added.


From 1978 onwards, the house was converted into a hotel with 24 comfortable rooms (58 beds) with bathrooms, TV, minibar and telephone.

In 1987 the basement was transformed into the Elisabeth Salon, the perfect location for weddings and family celebrations for up to 90 people, including a Jugendstil hotel bar.

2005 after more than 45 years the youngest daughter, Elisabeth Grauer-Stopfer, took over the management of the hotel. She runs the hotel and restaurant together with one of her older sisters, Anna Rischer.
2005/2006 saw the construction of an elevator and a new reception as well as the redecoration of all hotel rooms

- now: constant renovation and new acquisitions all the time

The 2 sisters Elisabeth Grauer-Stopfer und Anna Rischer form a dedicated team and run the hotel with a lot of joy and ambition.